Monthly Updates and Newsletters
Here are some updates that may be of use. There are several upcoming meetings-please see registration information. Please let me know if you have any questions, concerns, or would like your name removed from this list. Thanks!
FALL DPAC MEETING
The next DPAC Full Membership Meeting is Thursday, November 14th. The meeting will be at the Radisson Hotel in downtown Lansing. Some meeting highlights:
- Participate in the recognition of Diabetes Month at the State Capitol Rotunda (on World Diabetes Day!)
- Listen to Detroit native and national motivational speaker Joanne Henderson-Collins regarding her management of type 2 diabetes
- Gain understanding on some innovative, statewide, chronic disease initiatives, including the Michigan 4 x 4, the Michigan Primary Care Transformation Project (MiPCT), and the Michigan Pathways to Better Health
Registration is open and it is EASY! Register here
! Registration Deadline: November 1st!
SALLY JOY LEADERSHIP AWARD
Do you know someone who is an exceptional leader in diabetes management or prevention in your community? Someone who has passion, commitment and who you would like to recognize for their efforts?
DPAC would like to hear from you! DPAC and ADA are seeking nominations for the Sally Joy Leadership Award. The work can be done on behalf of an organization or by volunteer basis (or both!). The award will be presented on the morning of November 14th at the State Capitol Rotunda (see information above).
Submissions can be entered online
or can be returned by fax/email (download form
MAKING THE CASE: MICHIGAN DIABETES PREVENTION CONFERENCE
Have you signed up yet for the first ever statewide diabetes prevention conference? The conference is October 22nd and there is still time to register! Some highlights include:
View program brochure
- Hear the latest science on diabetes prevention.
- Learn how ACA can help promote diabetes prevention interventions and reimbursement for obesity-related services.
- Learn how to build and improve worksite wellness programs.
- Hear from national, state, and local programs experiences in implementing lifestyle change programs to prevent type 2 diabetes
Michigan Community Health Worker Alliance (MiCHWA) Annual Meeting
The MiCHWA Annual meeting is October 9th in Lansing. Registration deadline is October 2nd
Some highlights include:
- Hear how community health workers (CHW) can shape systems of care, future efforts, and how CHW can be integrated into team based care
- Updates on MiCHWA
- Understanding Advocacy Efforts and also lessons learned from other states
- Creating an evaluation agenda
2012 MiBRFSS Annual Report
The Michigan Department of Community Health, Chronic Disease Epidemiology Unit recently released the 2012 Michigan Behavioral Risk Factor Survey (MiBRFS) Annual Report
. This report provides a detailed account of the latest population-based estimates of the prevalence of various health behaviors, medical conditions, and preventive health care practices among the Michigan adult population.
- Estimated 10.5% of MI adults have been told by a doctor they have diabetes
- The prevalence of diabetes among Black, non-Hispanic adults is 13.8%. This is nearly 44% higher rate compared to White, non-Hispanic adults (9.6%)
- Diabetes was highest among 65-74 year old adults (23.6%)